New Ford Expedition Raises Bar Among Full-Size SUVs with Most Off-Road Capable, Most Powerful, Smartest Expedition Ever
- New Timberline edition is the most off-road-capable Expedition ever, with higher ground clearance to help clear obstacles, Trail Turn Assist for making tight turns, plus an F-150 Raptor heavy-duty underbody skid plate for more rugged off-road ability
- Powerful Expedition Stealth Performance Package combines unique athletic styling appointments with best-in-class performance* from a high-output twin-turbo 3.5-liter EcoBoost® engine, while a sport-tuned suspension adds maximum on-road fun and driving confidence
- New Expedition has the most driver-assist technology features in its class, including 4 new camera views and 13 new driver assist features; 12″ Touchscreen standard with optional best-in-class 15.5″ Touchscreen and 12.4″ Digital LCD Gauge Cluster; theater-quality entertainment comes courtesy of a Bang & Olufsen® Unleashed sound system option with 22 speakers including subwoofer – the best in its class
Al Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 21 September 2021 – Ford today reveals the new 2022 Expedition, its flagship SUV, for families seeking epic adventures and memory-making road trips. With an expanded lineup of models to choose from, plus new driver-assist and connected technologies, it’s the most off-road-capable, most powerful, smartest Expedition ever.
Largest, most differentiated Expedition lineup ever is ready to conquest
With millennials now accounting for the fastest growing demographic in the full-size SUV segment, the expanded lineup of the new 2022 Expedition is set to meet modern family needs and enable unique outdoor and road-tripping adventures.
An addition gives Expedition a 3 engine lineup. Starting from the standard twin-turbo 3.5-liter EcoBoost® engine mated to a 10 Speed Automatic gearbox delivering 380HP and 637Nm of torque (which is more than competitor V8s), we retain the 400HP and 650Nm High Output EcoBoost® engine on the Platinum series and, add the Best-in-Class High Output EcoBoost® engine with 440HP and 705Nm of torque (that’s more torque than an F-150 Raptor).
This expanded lineup brings more personality and design distinction for each series – Expedition XL series to the premium Expedition Platinum, as well as the new Stealth and Timberline models – including a new fridge/freezer in the center console, bolder styling with standard LED headlamps, updated taillamps and new wheel choices. Also, a new twin-spar mesh grille and fog lamps with chrome accents have been added to the Platinum.
Timberline: Best-ever Expedition for off-roading
Ford once again delivers on its promise to offer more rugged SUVs and trucks with the new Expedition Timberline – the most off-road-capable Expedition ever. A unique grille and Active Orange exterior accents set the new Timberline series apart.
“Timberline sets a new standard with full-size SUV customers who need more passenger space, great off-road capability and a basecamp for life’s journeys,” said Mike Kipley, Ford Expedition chief engineer. “Our research shows more than one-third of Expedition customers go off-road, and almost 30% say true off-road capability is a must-have, which is what we’ve delivered.”
Timberline boosts Expedition trail capability, starting with best-in-class standard ground clearance and a wider track, while improved approach and departure angles enable deeper travel into the backcountry on tougher trails. Timberline is powered by Ford’s 3.5-liter high-output EcoBoost® V6 engine producing a best-in-class** 440 horsepower and 705Nm of torque.
More functional upgrades include Trail Turn Assist – the same system as on Bronco – that can tighten the turning radius on hairpin trails to take customers further off-road, rugged 33-inch Goodyear Wrangler™ all-terrain tires, increased ride height, two-speed transfer case and tough underbody shielding.
Stealth Performance Packages: Style and performance meets capability
With athletic styling and a sport-tuned suspension, the new 2022 Expedition Stealth Performance Package elevates on-road fun and driving confidence with best-in-class power from Ford’s 3.5-liter EcoBoost high-output engine producing 440 horsepower and 705Nm of torque.
Available on Expedition Limited, Stealth Performance sports modern, stylish gloss-black features including grille, mirror caps, roof rails, running boards, tailgate appliqué, rear bumper skid plate, fog lamp bezels, plus headlamp and taillamp housing. Unique red brake callipers sit behind larger 22-inch premium black aluminum wheels, while “Expedition” and “Limited” badging in black are featured front and back, plus new black Ford oval emblems.
Matching the athletic looks of the Stealth Performance Package, the vehicle’s continuously active Controlled Damping Suspension with Suspension Road Preview monitors the road ahead for improved damping of larger road events such as speedbumps. A more firmly tuned front and rear versus the Expedition Limited – for a sportier feel.
Flagship-level technology including standard 12-inch centerstack touchscreen and SYNC® 4 or an optional SYNC® 4a system with 15.5-inch high-definition touch display – the largest available screen in its class. SYNC® 4 allows customers to split the screen and control multiple functions simultaneously, including navigation, plus music, and other features, such as towing. SYNC® 4a with the 15.5-inch portrait-oriented display includes adaptive dash card technology that uses the touch screen for interactive individual digital cards, instead of traditional menus, to organize and optimize the experience.
Elevating the new instrument panel and craftsmanship further is an available 12.4-inch high-definition digital gauge cluster that features a large information on-demand area, along with Expedition-specific graphics and animations that respond to the flagship’s selectable drive modes and can display off-roading data and turn-by-turn navigation.
Expedition elevates entertainment with a new Bang & Olufsen® Unleashed*** sound system featuring 22 speakers, including a subwoofer and 360-degree surround sound available on Expedition Platinum, Stealth Performance Package and Timberline.
The rear-seat experience has been enhanced to include Amazon Fire TV that lets passengers enjoy a wide variety of content from popular apps, stream videos, play games, listen to music, get information, and watch downloaded programs – all through high-definition touch screens now with 16 gigabytes of storage.
2022 Expedition brings the most available driver-assist technology features**** in its class
Every 2022 Ford Expedition comes with a class-leading number of standard or available driver-assist technology features. These include:
• Road-Edge Detection: An upgrade on lane keep assist as it identifies road edges, not just painted road markers.
• Intersection Assist: System senses oncoming traffic and applies the brakes if the vehicle is at risk of being hit – mitigating or avoiding a collision.
• Reverse Brake Assist: Backing out of parking spaces often puts drivers in situations with limited visibility, so this feature senses oncoming pedestrians and vehicles, alerts the driver, and automatically brakes if the vehicle is at risk of a collision.
• Evasive Steering Assist: The system helps the driver get out of a lane in time to avoid an obstacle, while not overshooting the next lane or spinning out of control (Evasive Steering Assist does not control steering).
• Object Detected Camera View: This provides additional visual context to drivers that front park aid did not – allowing them to see what is in front of the vehicle and to judge that distance, in addition to viewing it through the use of ultrasonic sensors.
• Active Park Assist 2.0: An upgrade over the previous Enhanced Active Park Assist which required driver throttle inputs, this new feature makes the entire process a one-touch operation to get the vehicle into the space.
The 2022 Ford Expedition is manufactured at Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville, Ky., and will go on sale in the first quarter of 2022.